At Picnic, we’re revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our affordable and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you’re a passionate Data Scientist, we’re offering you the opportunity to join the diverse team at our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our data-driven, scale-up environment. We are currently seeking talented individuals across various levels of expertise.
🥜 In a nutshell
As a Data Scientist at Picnic, you’ll work on creating intelligent, automated systems to solve our company’s biggest challenges, at scale. You won’t stop at building a model—you’ll productionize it alongside the wide variety of machine learning models we already have running in production.
Working closely with business leads, you’ll identify and solve problems leveraging machine learning. When working with our Inbound team, you’ll work on improving the Temporal Fusion Transformer model that predicts demand on the article level—a direct input for our ordering system. With our Payment team you could work on our real-time payment fraud detection system— to ensure we block intentional fraud, not happy customers. You’re more than a model builder: you’re a blend of internal consultant, software engineer, and applied mathematician.
You might think, ‘Sounds good, but 80% of my job is going to be cleaning data.’ Not here. Our data is registered, logged, consistent, and immaculate. We’re a mature team with the infrastructure, tools, and expertise to get models into production.
Check out some of our previous machine learning projects here: https://blog.picnic.nl/tagged/machine-learning
🎯 What you’ll do
You’ll work on various projects and fields, such as:
– Forecasting demand: order volumes, article demand, used Picnic-wide
– Forecasting the number of trips: making sure we have enough vehicles and runners
– Fraud and outlier detection: helping us keep bad-guys out of our store
– Recommendation systems: generating useful in-app grocery suggestions for our customers
– Search and ranking: helping our customers find exactly what they need
– Predicting delivery drop-off times for our distribution: making sure we’re on-time at every customer.
You will definitely:
– Work closely with business leads to identify opportunities, define business cases, and scope out the requirements
– Own your own project from inception to production, to continuous improvement
– Develop tools and enhancements for our cloud-based data science platform
💻 Technologies we use
– Python (Scikit-learn, PyTorch, Tensorflow, FastAPI – or we build our own packages)
– SQL (Snowflake, Postgres)
⭐ About you
– Master’s degree or higher in AI, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field
– At least 4 years of experience in data science
– Experience with maintaining production-level ML solutions, with solid software engineering and ML principles
– Strong Python and SQL skills
– Superb communication skills and ability to transfer knowledge to business stakeholders and the rest of the data science team
– Comfortable with taking responsibility, showing initiative, and working independently
– Ability to think outside the box and an anything-is-possible mindset
– Quality control: commitment to excellence, performance, and efficiency
For bonus points
– Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and CI is a plus
📖 Picnic Perks
Every expert was once a beginner!
You’ll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
You’ll work in an awesome scale-up environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you’ll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you’ll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
You’ll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don’t worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga to climbing!
We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self as well as 25 vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have at least one team day per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it’s up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That’s why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who’ve faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!
Commitment to equal opportunities
Picnic is an equal opportunity employer—this means that all decisions regarding applications will be based on qualifications and merit. Applicants will be regarded independently of age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, skin color, civil status, religious beliefs, physical or mental disability, or any other factors protected by law.
At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.